Varadero International Airport
The “Aeropuerto Juan Gualberto Gomez” a.k.a. Varadero International Airport (IATA code: VRA) is the second largest and busiest airport in Cuba after the José Marti International Airport in Havana. The VRA airport handles both international and domestic flights. It has only one terminal building which is air-conditioned and non-smoking (except for one designated area). There are three jet bridges, but air-stairs are also used for the remaining aircraft parking spaces on the apron.
Aeropuerto Juan Gualberto Gomez
Ave Martires de Barbados Km 5, Carbonera, Matanzas, Cuba
Phone: (53 45) 613 016
Distance and travel time by road from Varadero Airport to :
- Downtown Varadero: 15 km (9.3 mi), about 25 minutes
- Varadero hotels & resorts: 15 to 25 km (9.3 to 15.5 mi), 25 to 50 minutes
- Cardenas: 35 km (22 mi), about 30-35 minutes
- Matanzas City: 18 km (11 mi), about 20 minutes
- Jibacoa: 60 km (37 mi), about 50 minutes
- Havana City: 120 km (75 mi), about 1 hour 45 minutes
- Havana International Airport (Jose Marti): 137 km (85 mi), about 2 hours
Ground transportation available at Varadero Airport:
Chartered bus, taxi, Viazul bus, car rental. Click HERE for more info.
- IATA code: VRA / ICAO code: MUVR
- Type: Civil
- Operated by: ECASA (Empresa Cubana de Aeropuertos y Servicios Aeronauticos S.A.)
- Longitude: 81° 26' 07" W. Latitude: 23° 02' 04" N
- Elevation: 64 meters (210 feet)
- Time zone: GMT-5 (-4DT)
Airport facilities include:
Arrivals area : Immigration and Customs, baggage claim, bathrooms, public phones, currency exchange, Infotur office (tourist information), car rental offices (outside terminal), taxis (outside terminal).
Departure hall (public area) : Check-in counters, bathrooms, Immigration/Passport Control, public phones, currency exchange, restaurant, a few shops
Departures Gate Lounge : Public waiting lounge, VIP Lounge ($), bathrooms, currency exchange, many souvenirs stores and kiosks, duty free shops, drugstore, smoking room, small children playground, public phones.
Click for information on Cuban Immigration and Customs.
Lily & Normand