The town of Cardenas, a.k.a. The Flag City, is located 18 km (12 mi) southeast of Varadero, on the Bahia de Cardenas (Cardenas Bay). This is where the current Cuban national flag was first flown in 1850. You can go there by yourself (taxi) of with organized tours from Varadero resorts.
Among the most interesting attractions of Cardenas are:
- Monuments of the Giant Crab and Giant Bicycle
- Museo Casa Natal Jose Antonia Echevarria who was a revolutionary fighter (admission 1 CUC).
- Parque Colon a small park where you can find a statue of Christopher Columbus.
- Catedral de la Concepcion Inmaculada, which is famous for its beautiful stained glass.
- Arrechabala Rum Factory (admission 2 CUC), this is where the famous Havana Club brand was born but it now produces the brands Bucanero and Varadero rums.
- Plaza Molokoff which is a L-shaped 19th century iron building topped by a 15-meter dome made in the United States.
- Museo Batalla de Ideas (Museum of Ideological Battles) now mostly dedicated to the history of Elian Gonzales, the now famous Cuban child who became the center of a heated custody dispute in 2000 between Cuba and the United States (admission 1 CUC).
- Museo Oscar Maria de Brojas, historical museum, and the second oldest museum in Cuba.
Lily & Normand