Varadero Golf Club
There are currently only 2 golf courses in all Cuba: The Varadero Golf Club (18-holes, par 72) and the Havana Golf Club (9-holes, par 35). There’s a project to build a new golf course in Carbonera (near Varadero Airport), approximately 15 km (9.3 mi) from Varadero Resort. The Cuban company Palmares S.A. and the English company Essence Hotels & Resorts have made an alliance to build a top quality country club including a 18-holes golf course, a hotel, apartments and villas, tennis courts, a spa, and a nautical club. This investment in the Carbonera Golf & Country Club could reach up to 350 million Euros.
Here are some technical information about the Varadero Golf Club:
• Designer: Les Furber (Canadian company Golf Design Services)
• Course is: 18-hole type: classic/Target/links combination
• Par: 72 (5 par-5, 8 par-4, 5 par-3)
• Yardage: 6269 linear meters / Golfing area: 39.7 Ha, Total area: 61.0 Ha
• Average playing time for an 18-hole round: 4.5 hours / Golf cart is mandatory
• Dress code: Collared shirt, Trousers or Dockers-style shorts (no jeans), appropriate non-metal spike golf shoes, tennis shoes or sneakers (no sandals of any type)
• Tee times: Every 10 minutes, from 6:40am to 9:00am and from 11:30am to 1:30pm
• Longest hole: 537 meters / Shortest hole: 164 meters
• Type of grass: Bermuda / Automatic water system
• Facilities: Club House, restaurant, pro shop, snack bar, caddie house, golf academy
• Practice areas: Driving range (300 meters), 1 chipping green, 2 putting greens, 2 bunkers
Prices (in CUC):
• Green fee 18 holes: 70
• Green fee 9 holes: 48
• Twilight, 9 holes from 4:00pm: 48
• Equipment rental (bag and clubs): 50
• Bucket of 45 balls (for driving range): 3
• Rental of electric cart (per person and mandatory): 30
• Golf lesson (50 minutes): 30
Note that some hotels include free golf rounds in their All-Inclusive package, or special prices.
The Varadero Golf Club is home to the Cuba Golf Grand Tournament, there have been six editions so far. Participants must be over 18 years old and have a certified handicap of 24 or under for gentlemen, and 30 or under for ladies. Tournament dates for 2014 are: April 10 to 12.