icon PassportEntry / Exit Requirements

To enter Cuba every tourist must have a VALID PASSPORT, a Cuban tourist card (Visa), a travel insurance with medical coverage, a return ticket, and sufficient funds to meet its financial needs during his/her stay. Please note that citizens of certain countries may need a special Visa, check with the Cuban Embassy or Consulate in your area, or with your travel agent.

Cuban Tourist Card (tourist visa) :

The Tourist Card (Visa-Tarjeta del Turista) is usually provided by airlines, travel agencies, or tour operators. It can also be obtained at any Cuban airport and port, and in Cuban embassies and consulates. The tourist card is typically valid for a maximum of 30 days, 90 days for Canadians; and it can be extended for another 30 days once in Cuba, or 90 more for Canadians.

Health insurance :

Since May 2010, travelers must have an insurance that covers medical expenses in order to enter in Cuba. Upon arrival, travelers may be required to present a proof of medical coverage valid for the entire period of their stay in Cuba, in the form of an insurance policy, insurance certificate, medical assistance card, etc. Travelers without medical insurance are required to purchase one through ASISTUR S.A. (, the Cuban travelers' aid company, they have an office in every international Cuban Airport.

Note that during wide-spread flu virus outbreaks (or other viral disease), it's common to see fever detection sensors in Cuban airports to detect people with elevated body temperature; and sometimes it's required to fill a health declaration form upon arrival. Filling this form is not required when no outbreak has been reported.

Return ticket and proof of sufficient funds :

Upon entry in Cuba, tourists should possess a return ticket. Travelers entering Cuba with air-only tickets (no prepaid accommodation) may have to show that they carry sufficient funds to meet their financial needs for the duration of their stay; that is at least the equivalent to 50 CUC per day.

Special Visas :

If you are planning to work in Cuba, you need a Business Visa.
If you are planning to study in Cuba, you need a Student Visa.

Departure Tax :

NEW PROCEDURE FOR THE DEPARTURE TAX: Since May 1st 2015, the Cuban Departure Tax is no longer paid at destination. It's now already included in the price of your flight or holiday-package to Cuba. The departure tax booths at the Cuban airports have been closed since that date.

(Before May, 2015, the 25 CUC departure tax was payable at the airport when leaving Cuba. A hologram sticker was then affixed to the back of your boarding card as proof of payment.)

For U.S. citizens and U.S. residents :

Under the current U.S. laws, citizens and people residing in the United States are prohibited from spending money (in any currency) related to Cuban travels, unless authorized by the OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control , U.S. Department of the Treasury), and restrictions applies. Please visit the OFAC website for further information.

Lily & Normand


cayo largo, cuba cayo santa maria, cuba holguin, cuba cayo coco, cuba